For Centuries adaptogens plants have been used as an alternative healing practice for health, stress, and longevity. Many adaptogens are now used in our nonalcoholic beverages so not only are we becoming healthier by not drinking, Adaptogens are being added to aid in a healthier well-being overall.
Adaptogens are a group of botanicals, which include bark, herbs, fungi, and roots that relieve mental and physical issues and support the balance of our body as a whole.
To be classified as an adaptogen a plant or compound must include these criteria:
- Non toxic at normal doses
- Beneficial impact on the body as a whole
- Counteract the body’s response to emotional and environmental stress
Listed are some of the most common Adaptogens in Alcohol-Free Beverages
- Ashwagandha – The root of this shrub has a bitter taste and is thought to have a calming effect
- Astragalus – Used to treat wounds, fever, and allergies and can be used for respiratory and cardiovascular ailments. The root of this plant has antibacterial properties that are thought to help fight fatigue, colds, flu and improve white blood cell count.
- Chaga Mushrooms – The mushrooms help absorb nutrients from the bark of the birch trees from which they grow. Found only in cold climates and used as a traditional treatment in the cultures where they are found. Currently being researched for cancer-stopping properties and positive effects on the immune system.
- Cordyceps – This bright orange colored plant can be found high in the Himalayas. Cordyceps has immune boosting and liver supporting properties and regulates blood sugar.
- Eleuthero – This root is used to reduce the symptoms of upper respiratory infections, support the kidney function, relieve stress and fatigue.
- Ginseng (American and Asian) – These botanical cousins ginsenosides which help fight cancer, boost the immune system. Ginseng can help manage many issues including diabetes, ADHD, colds and flus, and sexual dysfunction.
- Hemp – Hemp has been shown to decrease anxiety, improve sleep, enhance focus, and reduce inflammation.
- Holy Basil or also known as Tulsi – Indigenous to India and taste like a peppery version of basil. Can assist in the achievement of enlightenment, reduces mental fog, alleviates anxiety, depression and reduces stress.
- Jiaogulan – Another herb that helps strengthen immunity, regulate blood pressure and cardiovascular function. Evidence has also shown it might help with cholesterol levels and diabetes.
- Licorice Root – Found throughout Europe and Asia the root of the licorice plant is used to aid digestion, weight management and menopausal symptoms.
- Lion’s Mane Mushroom – Fluffy and white this puffball known as Lion’s Mane is the most used adaptogens in the main street market. Known for its brain boosting abilities, helps fight cancer, aid digestion, supports the circulatory system and inflammation.
- MACA – Member of the cabbage family, there are 3 varieties yellow, red and black each with different properties. Supports sexual health, depression and stress, lowers blood pressure, and eases menopause symptoms.
- Reishi Mushroom – With an earthy bitter taste is used most in traditional chinese medicine. It has been found to inhibit cancer growth, regulate blood sugar, and has immune boosting and antioxidant properties.
- Rhodiola Rosea – Containing more than 140 active ingredients, it has been noted that the Vikings used Rhodiola to boost their strength when fighting or traveling long journeys. This plant has two active ingredients, rosavin, and salidroside which help manage stress, improve cognitive function and physical stamina.
- Schisandra – This is thought to improve a long life and protect overall health in ancient Chinese medicine. Promotes mental function, concentration and evidence has shown it also protects the liver function and increases physical stamina.
- Turmeric – A powerful antioxidant which helps symptoms of arthritis and joint pain. The benefits are made even more powerful when mixed with black pepper.
The next time you are searching for an alcohol free product, check the ingredients to see if one of these adaptogens has been added.
At Kindred Spirits, here in Richland, WA you can find a wide variety of alcohol free wines, spirits, cider, and even beer. Our goal is to make it easy for you to find an alcohol free drinks like wine, whiskey, and spirits, that are not soda, or water, and we even have what you need to make fun exciting alcohol free beverages like AF moscow mules, mimosas, and more.
NOTE: This is intended as a general guide and is not to be used as medical advice. As always check with your healthcare provider before using and to determine what is right for you.